This is the overview for my 10-part series on Moving to Australia. Navigate here to see the full series or use the links below to read posts on specific topics.
So you might want to move to Aus!?
Let me convince you further.
With heaps of pals and plenty of friends of friends of friends asking me for advice on making the move across the Pacific, I thought it could be a good idea to compile all of my advice into a post or two (or 10) that will help prospective future Aussies prep for their move and settle in once they are here.
I moved to Wollongong, NSW at the start of 2013 on a Student Visa, completed a Bachelor of Medical Science, and then stayed on after graduation with a Working Holiday Visa to work in Melbourne, VIC. Mid-2016, I applied for another student visa and started in on a Masters by Research in Biomechanics back in NSW. I’ve lived in a handful of houses/apartments over my 4 years here, held a dozen different jobs, travelled all over Australia, and done my very best to assimilate into my new home. I have no intention of leaving, sorry mum & dad. (A permanent resident visa is in the works, but that is a long, stressful story for another day.)
I am just going to dump everything I learned during my move and my 4 years here into these posts, so some of it will be relevant to everyone wanting to make the move and some will only apply to those looking to study. Skip around to find something of interest, or have a gander at this helpful overview:
- i. Picking & applying for a visa: info on Working Holiday, Student Visa, how to apply
- ii. Options for studying in Australia: choosing a uni, course structure, steps of applying and enrolling
- iii. Choosing a new home base: geography, best of each state, best suburbs in Sydney & Melbourne, applying for a lease/ finding a room
- iv. Packing & buying your flights: tips on booking flights, what to bring with you
- v. Organising boring things like your phone, banking & ID: 1st week in-country checklist, getting a SIM card, bank account, licence, setting up technology to a new country
- vi. Getting a job & making money: Tax File Number, steps for applying to jobs, best jobs to look for, RSA, where to find job listings, superannuation, filing a tax return
- vii. Speaking the language: Aussie slang, common mispronunciations, weird spelling differences, metric system
- viii. Australian Culture: Aussie music playlist, comedy, tv, sport, and nightlife
- ix. Travelling around Australia: how to plan a trip, modes of transport, sample itineraries, guides for visiting Sydney, the Illawarra, Melbourne, Adelaide, Brisbane, The Great Barrier Reef, Perth, etc.
- x. Travelling internationally from Australia: how to plan a trip, sample itineraries & information about visiting SE Asia, Bali, NZ
Welcome to the most exciting time of your life.
If this series helps just one person in their move to Australia, I will feel quite pleased with myself. Feel free to leave questions in the comments and I will do my best to answer them!